Gorgeous Zoomorphic Zileh / Sileh fragment.
These soumakh textiles with stylised dragons are traditionally referred to as Sileh (Zileh or Zili) in early literature, a term that is also associated with the technique.
Examples in this category can be clones of each other with minor variation and finding unique elements aspects is an interesting journey into the details.
In this Sileh however, the following unique features stand out and make this piece amazing:
1) The animals and their babies within the “S” ornaments.
2) Note the crown on the heads of the parents and the ornamented feeatures on the tails with the zigzag design
3) The variety of colors of their bodies and the palette used – is interesting – especially the yellow green.
4) The details in their faces – including their eyes that glare back at us head-on, each almost with some sort of unique expression is fantastic.
5) The babies protected under the parent look on ahead and ignore us.
6) The rows of smaller animals walking in an organised single file between the S ornaments is also noteworthy.
Finally, the flowers in the horns of the dragon show the creative soul that was poured into the making of this weaving.
In all this is a fantastic work of art.
Estimated to be from the early-mid 1800s.
Fragmentary state. Corrosion, edge fraying and holes may deter some. But if the phenomenal art overpowers you and makes you blind to the defects then this is for you.
PRICE ON REQUEST
This item has spent a lifetime being used for the purpose of its creation with the original artist/user. Signs of this life lived heartily may be present on the piece in the form of stains, thread loss, loose threads, holes, tears, color run, repairs and other imperfections.Therefore the condition must be assumed to be “not” perfect. More photos of such imperfections will be provided on request.